Monday, December 9, 2013

When You're Offbeat, Take 3 Minutes and Do This


My old man was in sales for 30 years and he hustled.  He would come home at the end of the day absolutely exhausted.  He would have to be "On" all day while in front of prospects and clients.  I can finally appreciate where he was coming from! 

In July 2000 he passed away, and when I finally had the will to clean out his desk, I found this piece of paper (pictured above).  Though I found many things, this particular suggestion has stayed with me - pinned to every cork-board, at every cubicle, where I've ever made a cold-call.  

THREE TIMES A DAY
Take Five Deep Breaths
On the Fifth Breath Hold and Count Down 5 4 3 2 1
Close Your Eyes, and Then Count Down From 50 to 1
Then Count 1 2 3 and I am Wide Awake

With a beautiful new daughter at home, and a never-ending to-do list, my life continues to propel faster and faster.  I'm guessing I'm not alone here, right?  Everybody is running at break-neck speeds these days (not to mention with their heads down, transfixed in technology). 

Next time you feel off your rhythm; you feel rushed, anxious, or just got hung up on by another prospect - take 3 minutes and try it.  During that 50 to 1 countdown allow yourself to stop, listen, be grateful, and refresh.  I encourage you to start working it into your daily routine (Disclaimer: I've tried this when I first wake up, but it just puts me back to sleep).

Enjoy the holidays, keep working hard, and remember to breathe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment