Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Please Stop Acting Like You Care About Their Day

If you make sales (phone) calls as part of you job, we need to talk about an annoying phone habit you've probably developed.  It's this...

"How are you doing today?"


Seriously.  Stop asking this question.  I'll tell you how their day is - BUSY. I assure you as soon as you say it, the person on the other end of the line is already thinking about how they're going to get off the phone.   It's what every other average, pesky sales person says after their name and company.


I know, I know...it's an instinctual, knee-jerk question we ask.  And it will feel weird not to say it.  You're right - the first few times will be rough.  But break the habit.  Don't sound like EVERYONE else.  Stop it.  Now.

Ok?  Ok...so let's talk alternatives:                                                                                                              
  1. Make them laugh - if you can elicit a laugh in the first 20 seconds of a phone call, you buy yourself at least a minute to get your message across.  My go to - "Happy ____day!"  Whatever - Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs.  If it's any day but Friday, nine out of ten times I get a chuckle or can feel a smile on the other end of the line.  That laugh alleviates the awkwardness of the cold call, puts a smile on their face, and allows you to take a quick temperature of the type of person you're dealing with (If you don't feel an air of levity on the other end of the line, you better talk fast)
  2. Good morning/afternoon! - this salutation is a much more logical thing to say when calling a stranger. 
  3. Acknowledge you'll be quick - you're calling to open the door to a conversation.  Say to them, "Hey, I'm sure I'm catching you in the middle of something; do you have a quick moment?"  If they say YES, begin your next statement with, "Excellent - I'll be brief."  Say your benefit statement and engage.  
  4. LinkedIn Precall plan - find something of interest or a common thread on their profile - hobbies, college, associations, charities, whatever.  Say, "Hey before I get to the main reason for my call, I saw on LinkedIn that ________.  How involved are you? (or I support that cause too.)"  

Got something that has worked for you?  Would love to hear the idea - drop me a note and happy selling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment