Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Masters - are you among them?

In 1986 I watched wide-eyed as Jack Nicklaus roared on the back nine at Augusta and won his 6th green jacket and 18th major.  Everyone was SO excited and therefore, I was too.  My 8th birthday was the following month and I wanted golf clubs. Bad.
Lesson above: Larry throwing his club in joy, not anger. 

I got those clubs and played as much as I could that summer.  The following year, I watched Larry Mize chip in a 140 runner to beat the Shark, Greg Norman.  Augusta was won yet again in dramatic fashion and I was now double-down, hook-line'n'sinker, sold on golf.  As the PGA commercials say now...These guys are Good.  Well, they were back then too.  Warriors...Masters of their trade...Inspirational.  

So, my question to you (and me)...Are you a warrior?  A Master of your trade?  Do you inspire people with your work?!  ...me personally?  I'd tell you...sometimes.  I fall down on occasion... I sleep in.  I procrastinate.  I don't always put in 100%.  I don't pick up the phone.  I don't read enough books.  

But just about every day I do carve out time for self-improvement and learning - I read, listen to podcasts, talk to my peers, etc.  After that, I put it into practice immediately those lessons to hopefully inspire others and to further master my trade.  The hard part?  You can never do enough.  There is always more to learn.  And the older I get, the more I realize, the less I know!

I challenge you to do a little exercise while you watch the tournament this weekend (plus for those that care less, this will keep you awake!).  Write down one of these questions at the top of a blank sheet of paper:
  • How can I become a warrior at work?
  • What do I need to do or know to master my trade?
  • How can inspire those around me with my work? 
Write down ten answers (yes, 10).  Pick one.  Try it.  Absorb, Rinse, Repeat.    

Enjoy the Masters this weekend.  Let it remind you to strive for excellence, to overcome adversity, and to keep a strong mental attitude.

Have your own Masters memory or an example of something you do to be a Master?  Leave a comment or write me at salesdrummer@gmail.com.  Happy selling!  

No comments:

Post a Comment